top of page
Anchor's Close (bottom), Royal Mile, Edinburgh

Anchor's Close (bottom), Royal Mile, Edinburgh

Mixed media and pastels on archival paper, high-quality print.

 

Dating back to 1521, this site was named from The Anchor Tavern Howf of the Crochallan Fencibles'. This was a kind of 'HomeGuard' set up to defend Edinburgh against foreign invasion.

 

The Club members, including Robert Burns. They

anticipated a need for territorial resistance to invasion from the Continent.Anchor Close leads to Cockburn Street.

 

On the east side of the Close there are two 17th-century buildings, originally of four storeys. Sir Walter Scott's Parents also resided here until 1771.

 

Smellie's printing works was here who printed Burns works as well as the 1st edition of Britanica Encylopedia's. Sir Walter Scott's Parents also resided here until 1771.

    £45.00Price
    bottom of page